|Car away at trimmers so empty workshop - all set for the final phase|
|Comprehensive cylinder head re-condition £1,730.33 inc VAT|
|Block re-condition £3,321.88 Grand Total £5052.20 inc VAT|
Back in July 2009 VSE re-built my 140 engine at a VAT inclusive cost of £3,800 including a rear oil seal conversion. I did have the additional cost of delivering and collecting to mid Wales, (twice as it turned out due to an oil leak - "pop it back and we'll take a look"), a round trip of some 450 miles.
My VAT inclusive cost for the 120 engine is just over £5,000 - doing almost all but the machining work myself. Allowing for inflation and travelling costs, not too different to the VSE job. I suppose the benefit is that I know exactly what has gone into the 120 engine and I have taken great care at every stage of re-assembly. It also benefited from some superb quality forged pistons, valves, guides and rear oil seal from Dan Mooney at Classic Jaguar in Austin Texas.
For anyone considering a DIY engine build, the above costs make for interesting reading. If your doing it for satisfaction and a sense of achievement, fine. If your doing it to save a few quid, forget it!
Thank heavens, it seemed to run superbly in the three hours of effective bench testing (in the chassis) but I won't feel totally confident until I've got a couple of thousand miles on the clock. I think I used this picture in a previous post, but it's such a lovely thing, it deserves a second look.
|Hope it goes as well as it looks.|
|Initial trial fit of side screens - New trim now in place|
Assembling the side screens was challenging. The frames and perspex edging were all original, just re-chromed or powder coated, so they should have gone back together easily. An estimated couple of hours turned into a good days work but they did look pretty good once finished.
|With perspex and chrome trim in place|
An alternative solution was required. My 140 Fixed Head Windscreen was expertly installed by Paul from Windscreens Northern, an independent fitter who specialises in Sports / Classics. After an initial look at the problem, he arrived a few days later with the correct sealing material and with the assistance of some ratchet straps soon had the problem licked. There are some jobs best left to the experts (if you can find one). Fortunately I surrendered before the inevitable disaster occurred.
|Component parts ready for assembly|
|Closed cell foam unlike rubber will compress and cushion|
|Ratchet strap solution to gently pull it all together|
|All done, with thin bead of sealant to finish off|
Next post mid April